Thursday, August 2, 2012

Chik-Fil-A: I've got some 'splaining to do...


Well as luck would have it, there have been a lot of comments about the blog I posted yesterday about Chik-Fil-A and their day of appreciation. Most have contained nothing but positive feedback, but there has also been a little bit of confusion. So much so that I feel it is best to set the record straight.
My true intention of writing that blog was to shed light on the fact that people take things way too far in my personal opinion. Yes, Chik-Fil-A doesn’t support gay marriage. But is it necessary to have a ridiculous day of appreciation for the cause? What I think is ridiculous may seem inspiring to others. Yes I am gay and I want to one day be married legally. But is it necessary for me to protest by showing up in front of Chik-Fil-A and make out with another man?

We’re all entitled to free speech. Simple as that. I may not agree with other people’s opinions. I may not think the same way, but we’re all entitled to protest, boycott, picket, and so forth whenever and wherever we want. That’s what makes this country so great.
As extreme as all of that sounds, there are people who believe in all of this...
It’s hard for someone like me who has NEVER liked Chik-Fil-A to begin with to have such a strong urge to boycott. For me, not going to Chik-Fil-A pretty much all of my life is enough of a boycott. I’m not going to boycott something that I already DON’T do. However, a dear dear friend of mine presented me this morning with a well-written article about another gay man who has grown up eating Chik-Fil-A and the disappointment he feels when he realizes that part of the money in his own pocket that is used to purchase his Chik-Fil-A meals is going towards campaigns and political groups that support stopping bills allowing gays to legally marry.


It’s a religious issue, it’s a political issue, it’s a social issue, and it’s controversial, yes. As a gay man, I in no way wanted to give the impression that I thought Chik-Fil-A’s appreciation day was good. That’s their right though to do so. I also in no way had the intention of making it seem as though I didn’t support gays who were protesting and boycotting the restaurant. It’s a true joy to hear even straight people (and yes even The Muppets themselves) to fully support this cause. That’s their right. I wasn’t trying to step down on anyone for that.
What I find to be the most frustrating is that gay people have spent so many years trying to break away and dispel so many stereotypes and myths that are within. Do you remember when people thought gays were responsible for AIDS? Or even how all gays are child molesters? Or that being gay is a disease that can be cured? Not to mention that some extreme conservatives think all gays are dress-wearing, sex-craved, drug-taking, flamboyant men. True, there are some like this, and that’s a little part of the culture, but there’s so much more to us. But for me personally I’ve always had a strong opinion about making out in public. I think it’s unnecessary and not fair to people who don’t want to watch. You’re in public, have some respect for others (and may I just say this especially goes for straight people, not just gays). Just like smoking in public. If it’s an area that says smoking is allowed, then by golly go for it! But if it’s not, then don’t blow smoke in my face when I’m walking across the street. If it’s an area that says making out is allowed and viewers are allowed to watch, then y’all go for it then. But for the sake of those like me who think it’s unnecessary and uncalled for in public places, please be courteous and respectful for those who don’t wish to see a tongue fight going on when I’m trying to relax and eat dinner with my family on a nice night out. Again, that’s just my personal opinion.
Since the time in 9th grade when I first wrote about gay marriage for my honors English class, I’ve always been a firm believer that gay people fighting for their rights to marry one another is a lot like the civil rights movement of African-Americans in the 1960’s. Some may call that extreme. Some may say its spot on. But hey, that’s my personal opinion. I’m just practicing my freedom of speech in stating that. I think this picture says it all. (I think the point gets across without saying "stupid", but you get it...)
And for all those who went out to Chik-Fil-A who said they supported the cause by showing up at their customer appreciation day: you may find this little snippet very interesting too.
Again, I wouldn't go so far as to call them bigots and anti-gay. But again, you get the idea...
I have nothing but love for everyone, as long as we can try our best to be civil about what we do. Protest, boycott, stand up for what you believe in, but don’t be so hateful and aggressive. I do believe whole-heartedly that the LGBT community needs to stick together and fight the good fight still. But I don’t think that making out in front of Chik-Fil-A is going to be the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment